Blog Info

My purpose with this blog is to interactively work through the process of writing my first young adult book, tentatively titled Perdition. The briefest way I could explain the general idea is that it's meant to be like Twilight but with a girl who's both less and more sure of herself than Bella, a ghost on a sinister mission, and a crazy extended family. Don't worry there will still be a love triangle. However, I certainly don't intend this to be a romance first. It's much more about coming-of-age, family, and loss. My plan is to work my way through the process, including research (such as reviews of other books I read for inspiration along the way), character sketches, pleas for help, and whatever else might crop up along the way. If you'd prefer just to read the book as it's developed, you can visit the secondary page. Here goes nothing...

Monday, May 19, 2014

I'm baaaaaack.


All work and no play makes Allie a dull girl.

Geez. Nothing like word to get in the way of artistic ambition. I hung in there for a while, but grading papers and entering data and consoling dramatic children and coaching soccer really got in the way of my writing time. But with the school year winding down and a sweet new writing laptop (ASUS Transformer), I'm ready to kick this quest to get a book written into high gear.  

I thought about writing a few times but was stuck on a major plot point. I just couldn't move forward, despite thinking about it pretty frequently. I finally realized to go forward that I had to go back. My story features a mystery that takes place in the past. Mystery is great, unless the author isn't in on the secret. I realized that without knowing what led my characters to where they were, I couldn't write them with any sort of certainty. So I just started writing their story from the chronological beginning and clarity emerged. I have a much better sense of what motivates my protagonist, my villains. With one week and school left, I'm determined to keep the book firmly in mind, with the goal being first draft completion by summer's end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment